Thai citizens planning to travel to Italy are required to apply for a short term Schengen visa under tourist (also known as C) category. Depending on the desired duration of stay in Italy, they may be allowed to enter once (single entry) or multiple times (multiple entry) and stay for no longer than three months (or 90 days) per year in between the period of six months. This decision is made by the Italian authorities and take into consideration one’s reason for traveling and other relevant factors.
Italian Schengen visa applications should be made at an Italian Embassy at least three months before the intended date of travel. Visas can be issued to individuals or to groups and takes form of an adhesive sticker (not a stamp) inserted in your passport, so make sure there are empty pages.
Italy is a part of the Schengen Area. This area is a zone of 26 European countries where internal borders were abolished in an effort to establish free and unrestricted movement of people, goods, services and capital. In practice, this means that nationals of non-member countries, including Thai citizens, are only required to obtain a single Schengen visa that will allow them free access to all member countries.
Schengen Visa Categories
|“A” category||Airport transit visa|
|“B” category||Transit visa|
|“C” category||Short term visa (single, double and multiple) – for tourism|
|“D” category||Long stay/national visa|
- Passport valid for at least three months beyond the validity of the requested travel date
- Passport-size photographs on a white background
- Proof of residence in the country from which you are applying
- Proof or travel arrangements showing your name and exact dates of entry into and exit from Italy
- Proof of financial resources
- Proof of health insurance
- A Thai national married to an Italian citizen or to a foreigner who’s resident in Italy, requires a marriage certificate
- Applicants under 18 years old need a written authorisation from a parent or guardian
Interactive Visa Assistance
- Professional review and examination of your case and expert advice on proceeding
- Complete filing of all required forms and compilation of application package
- Providing accurate checklist of required documents to be submitted for the visa category
- Scheduling of your appointment at the Italian Embassy in Bangkok
- Review and preparation of all required documents prior to submission
- Specialist supervision and consultation of every step of the application process and after
The short term Schengen visa is valid for the territory of all Schengen countries and entitles the holder to stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a six-month period starting from the date of the first entry into the area (unless stated otherwise on the visa sticker).
Short term visa – 90 days within a six-month period
Short term visa – 15 working days
Long stay visa – 3 months